The trip was one to remember. It was insightful and I’ve learnt much from the heritage trail. I’ve learnt more about Kampong Glam itself, the Malay heritage and my culture. Compared to the busy Chinatown, Kampong Glam is a rather quiet district. Not many Malays visit the area to embrace what the place has to offer.
Who would have thought that the cemetery along Jalan Kubor belonged to a Royal family and the burnt shop along Kampong Glam was a once a Blacksmith shop? I was indeed even more amazed knowing the history of the place. Such a quiet place with such rich and deep history.
Though it was a tiring day, (the trail took us 4 hours to complete it and the weather was scorching hot!) I went back home happy that it was a fruitful day. We see Kampong glam in pictures and books and even read it up on the net, but to be physically there at the site and wonder around it looking for cultural buildings and sites beats reading a book about it.
We talked to people around the area who were nice enough to share a thing or two about the history and place and even experienced authentic food around the area. Firsthand experience is always the best and one we remember most.
Here is a video which I have created to commemorate the fun times we had during the trail:
No comments:
Post a Comment