Through this heritage trail activity, I felt that I had a deeper understanding of the Malay heritage. I did not know that there were so many interesting places in Singapore that I had yet explored despite living here for so many years.
One of the insightful things was that I had mistaken the Sultan Mosque as Hajjah Fatimah Mosque. It had cleared my misconception of the location of the two famous mosque. I realized through this trail that there was an integration and infusion of various ethnic and nationality ideas in building of the mosques, such as the Hajjah Fatimah Mosque where the building had incorporated some Chinese style and western influence in its architecture. I felt that it symbolized the "harmony" among the different races in Singapore.
On the overall, I feel that this activity was really enjoyable and through the enjoyment, I had learned a lot on the Malay heritage. In addition, I feel more confident if I were to bring my students to the Kampong Glam in the future where I have already known the places we can explore and be able to explain the various interesting information about these places.
No comments:
Post a Comment