Sunday, February 27, 2011

Aliff's Reflection

The trip to Kampong Glam was definitely an eye opener because I would occasionally go to the Sultan Mosque to pray when I am around the vicinity. Another period of time when I would go to Kampong Glam is during the fasting month; to buy food from the stalls alongside the streets.

The visit to the Istana, Gedung Kuning and many other places in Kampong Glam was an informational experience. The Istana has now been turned into a heritage centre which explains the history and current life of the Malays. A donated kris, an old map of Singapore, old Quran and a replica of a kampong and HDB flat in the 70s are just some of the items found in the heritage centre. Being a Malay myself, the heritage tour has a significant meaning for me because it gives me an insight understanding of how my forefathers used to live their life.

It is also interesting to see how Arab Street has now been transformed to cater to the younger generation despite the nearby Istana being a heritage centre. I hope that by bringing history closer to the younger generation, it sparks an interest in them to find out more about Singapore’s forefathers contributions.

No comments:

Post a Comment