Sunday, February 27, 2011

Farah's Reflection

When I first got to know that our group got Kampong Glam for our heritage trail, I was thinking to myself, "Aaah, so easy. I know everything there is to know about that place.. What's there to look for or learn anyways?"

Reason being, I often visit kampong glam/arab street area as it happens to be my family's favourite hang out spot for dinner or tea sessions. I go there almost every week.

But boy, I couldn't have been more wrong. I have learnt and gotten so much information from the heritage trail.

Before going on the trail, I knew that arab street/kampong glam area is rich in culture and history because my dad keep telling my siblings and I that his friend, some royal family, used to live in the kampong glam house, bla bla bla. However,we never really got to know the real history behind the house aka the 'gedung kuning'.

The trip to the shop no.718 which sells pilgrimage essential items for Muslims was also a very interesting experience for me. Being a muslim, I know that one day, it is my duty to perform the Hajj and I know that there are things that I will need to buy and bring to Mecca when the time comes. However, I never really thought of where I could buy those items and all. At the shop, I got to interview the owner about the things he sell and stuff. After that visit, I now know where to recommend family/friends to buy pilgrimage items when they want to visit Mecca the next time.

The entire heritage trail was an enriching experience for me as not only did I get to learn about the history of Kampong Glam and its places of interests around the area, I also got to bond with my fellow history course mates.

I really enjoyed the heritage trail. And I also gained a deeper appreciation of the rich history and culture of the kampong glam and the area around it even more now.

No comments:

Post a Comment