Friday, February 11, 2011

Malabar Muslim Jama-ath Mosque


It was already over 1pm when we were reaching Malabar Muslim Jama-ath Mosque. As we were walking there along Victoria Street, there were a lot of students from Stamford Primary School waiting at the bus-stop as it was also their dismissal time. As you can see the above picture, the skies were blue and clear and the weather was very warm. We wanted to have a better view of the mosque and observed its architecture and the unique golden domes on the roof top. However, the sunlight too glaring that we could hardly open our eyes. Hence, we had to use our hands to block some of the sunlight away in order to observe the mosque.

When I first saw the mosque, I was captivated by the ocean blue which I found it to be pleasing to the eyes. When I walked closer to the mosque, I realized that the tiles were beautifully tessellated.


Address & Contact: No. 471 Victoria Street Singapore 198370 Tel: 62943862

This Malabar Mosque, also known as Golden Dome Mosque, was first opened on 24th June 1963 by our late honourable first President of Singapore, Inche (Mr) Yusoff Bin Ishak. It is the only mosque that is fully managed by the Malabar Muslims. In fact, the Malabar community is part of an Indian community which I was not aware of till I visited this mosque. The Malabar community is originated from the Kerala in India and the main language that they speak is Malayalam. In Singapore, this community is the second largest ethnic group within the Indians. Through this heritage trail, I had found out that Malabar Muslims are also known as Malayalee Muslims too. I feel that I have a better understanding that in fact there are many different Muslim communities in Singapore.

No comments:

Post a Comment