Kampong Glam is a familiar place to me. I have been to it and the surrounding area namely Haji lane for hanging out with friends and shopping for clothes. My cycling group also meets in Haji lane for its weekly rides, which actually makes me quite a regular patron within the premises. And of course this area also provides free parking after 5pm! A major incentive!
But as mentioned above although I am quite well acquainted with this area our Heritage trail was actually the only time I "really" came here for what it's worth so to speak. I always knew that this area was an important site for Malay culture and history in Singapore, but never really gave much though about it until now.
The Malay Heritage Centre was an extremely vital source with loads of vital information about Kampong Glam, and we happened to get in free which was a perfect icing to the cake! With these information the rest of the trip throughout the district made a lot more sense and meaning.
The trip into the Madrasa was also an eye opener for me. Never could I imagine myself being in or teaching in such a strict religious school. The dynamics of the school felt totally different to any schools I've been to and taught in. And that's coming from a person who used to study in an all boy catholic school.
Zam Zam was a nice usual haunt for me, countless prata's and briyani's have passed through my mouth and I was actually surprised some of my groupmates were making thier virgin trip or 2nd visit there!
The most outstanding part of the trail had to be the mystical shop that sold items in preparation for pilgrimage. As pilgrims could not carry much in their sacred site, everything you needed (although limited but vital) for the trip could be found there.
I'd like to think of it as the "army market" stalls above Beach Road hawker centre, the one stop place for all your National Service needs. :)
In all it was definitely a redefining trip for me, as I learnt about the various importance that surrounds this district and the culturally important history that it holds for our nation. And now my almost weekly trips to Haji lane will never be seen in the same light again.
SHAREit for PC download
ReplyDeleteSHAREit for PC
Download SHAREit for Windows 10
SHAREit Free download for PC
SHAREit APK download
SHAREit Apps for PC